Monday, January 1, 2007

Breaking into the New Year!

Happy New Years everyone!

This will be my first of hopefully many posts. My new years resolution is to get a full-time job and I figured having a blog was a step in the right direction. Having a blog lets me express myself to both you and, somewhat oddly, myself. Talking through things and putting my thoughts down on paper (or in this case, on the Internet) helps dig deeper into my life.

I can express my feelings. I can map out my everyday disturbances and search for some form of enlightenment. I can reenact my day as if I was a character out of a novel, living a fantasy rather than sitting in this apparently dull world. But this is the life I live and after working part-time as a valet and doorman for years I have come to realize that the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows. It will beat you to the ground if you let it. For those Rocky fans: yes, I'm quoting him :)

There is something about blogging, however, that does add qualities of sunshine and rainbows to the story of my life. For one, it certainly does make my life seem more interesting than it is when it is all put down on paper. This is because of all the intangibles that are stored in the back of my mind that are rarely seen outside of this reenactment. They are there, they are beautiful, but I pay little attention at the time. Like the resident at the Condominium where I am a doorman, who unintentionally abandoned her friend:

To understand this story you have to understand my workplace. There are two buildings where I work, an East and a West. You are not assigned to one building though some employees are because of personal preferences, resident fueds, or for scheduling reasons. The buildings consists of 100 or so residents in each (though I could be off), many of which are elderly. It is not a coincidence that they are elderly either, this place is often mistaken as a giant nursing home. A nursing home full of drivers who have little to no feeling in their legs or have spinal problems that limit their field of view to the tiny space in between the steering wheel bars, but they are out moving about on the road. Anyways, an elderly lady from the West building came to the East to be with her friend. They decided to go out for a ride so the East resident walked into the anteroom outside the lobby and told her friend to wait while she brought the car around. Not totally unexpected, the lady was halfway to the lobby when she decided to take off up the ramp and leave the premises without her friend. Apparently, she was going around to the West building to pick up her friend in the vacant apartment. This person is also out on the road making decisions when to yield at an intersection.

I digress, but that is what this blog is all about. My part-time job is full of these little incidents that might look all cute and funny on this post but are (to steal some words from Dane Cook) mental terrorists on the brain. A life full of these "dee dee dee" incidents could drive a sane person insane. I am getting there, that's part of the reason why it's imperative for me to move on. Well that, and money.

It's getting late, I have the day off tomorrow, and my Tempur-pedic Christmas present (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) is calling me for an extended night of sleep. I can finally wake up without all the neck pains.

Tomorrows agenda: calling Hofstra to discuss my standings for Honors, calling Pet Supplies to discuss a double-charge on my account, and getting into a workout routine again. It will be nice to get back in shape, Rocky style!



No comments: