Friday, January 26, 2007

FILM: Epic Movie

Saw Epic Movie tonight and though it gave me a few laughs (loved the inspirational Rocky theme song), the majority of it was fluff. Superman gets shot in the eye, Paris Hilton gets crushed by a woman who fell out of a plane, and the "hairy beaver" gets kicked around a few times. Those were some funny parts that kept me laughing for a few seconds. Then the laughter stopped as Captain Swallow (no I did not spell that wrong) and his boat crew broke out into a pointless, lengthy rap on his immobile boat. The jokes were kiddy humor that never quite hit their mark. A few were dragged out, such as dumb blond Lucy who repeated everything Susan said. The addition of hot, barely dressed women in every other scene was clear desperation to keep everyone focused.

Some might enjoy this movie but since a large portion of it was making fun of the Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter I guess I was left out of the loop, not having seen either of them. I still probably wouldn't have found the jokes funny. I sort of knew what I was getting into when the 7:30 showing emptied out and the age range was 13-15.

One thing my friend Rob mentioned as we came out of the theater that I agreed with: there weren't enough characters. If you go to the Epic Movie Website, all characters on the intro page are pretty much the entire cast.

Overall, they could have been a little more imaginative with the jokes. It just wasn't funny to watch a champagne bottle get thrown at P-Diddy's head. Also, they could have done a little more with Borat instead of just sticking him in there in the end. Alas, there were the girls in bikini's in the next frame to keep us from nodding off!

How do I rate this film? A random reviewer wrote that it was better than Date Movie but worse than Scary Movie. Sounds about right.

No comments: