Tuesday, January 23, 2007

YANKEES: P. Abrahams on F. Rodriguez

I recently inquired about the Yankees' interest in Francisco Rodriguez with LoHud Yankees Blog writer Peter Abrahams. Here is what he thinks about Rodriguez and the closer role for the Yankees in the near future:

Russell writes: I noticed Francisco Rodriguez is eligible for free agency after 2008. What do you think the chances are of the Yankees going after him? My personal opinion, but I believe he is the second best closer in the majors behind Rivera.

Answer: K-Rod makes sense on plenty of levels. But I think the ideal plan would be to sign Mo to an extension for two years and then see what develops internally. It could be Scott Proctor, who has plenty of guts. Or maybe Cashman takes one of his many high-ceiling kids and converts him. There’s a theory that every organization has a pitcher who would make a good closer, it’s just a matter of figuring out who that is.

No comments: