Thursday, January 4, 2007

The Pain of Working as a Doorman

Well, stayed out late last night only to come home and realize IT ISNT FRIDAY and that I have work at 7:30 A.M. Ouch! Work wasn't that painful, though the starving pains I got from slightly prolonging breakfast were. There is something about missing a meal that puts me in a bad mood haha. Of course I had to work with Tony the concierge today too who thinks its smart to suggest I wait 3 hours to eat breakfast when its 7:30 in the morning, absolutely nothing is happening and no one is around. I am a doorman and at the position in which I eat enables me to still get the door and conceal the food at the same time. Not that anyone but the totally anal really care.

Of course, with my great luck, Tony's daughter Amanda was the other doorperson today. How wonderful this was :::sarcasm at its best::: I get the honor of listening to them chat while I stare out the window into the world of opportunity. Maybe I should break out some reading while they chat so I can keep myself occupied and learn something instead of standing there doing nothing?! Oh that's right, Tony hates it when you read because a resident might care? Honestly I think its worth the risk to let me read if I still am able to do my job. Not implying anything but you miss the door just as much daydreaming as you do reading and keeping your mind functioning.

But I honestly don't think this is the reason for him not wanting anyone to read. Management has him paranoid as hell with the not-so-hidden camera running behind him and the property manager having a live hook-up on his portal laptop. Uh oh, he might get busted when Jonathan prints up a picture of a book on the podium just like Frank got busted for having a cup of coffee on the top of his desk!

Solving these gigantic problems are why Management gets the big bucks (specifically a large portion of the money out of the residents gratuity program--money that is supposed to go to the people who help the residents every day. How shady and petty is that? This is the Wyndham). Wouldn't it be nice if management actually came and socialized with its employees once in a while? Ugh, I could go on forever as this thing goes from Tony's book issues and stems out to management inefficiencies. The one true reassuring thing is when an outside person sees management stressing these tiny issues and adds their 2 cents: "Don't these people have anything better to do?" No. Management would spend hundreds of the residents dollars to hire an efficiency expert whose sole job is to figure out how to get a glass vase to stop blowing over every time we open the wind tunnel at the front of the lobby.

Well, I slept all afternoon and made up for my missed sleep last night. Only hoping I don't stay awake far into the night and miss out on a lot of my day off tomorrow. It's supposed to be around 70 tomorrow! Crazy weather for January.

No comments: